Deciding what to wear on an airplane can be quite a tricky endeavor. Should you dress to look nice or to stay cozy?
While the two tend to be opposites, you can strike a nice balance between them. You should be as comfortable during your stay as you are on the way there, which means you should never feel cramped!
Airplane fashion comes in many different forms, but you can certainly find a way to feel as good as you look, even on a long flight. With a little preparation and effort, you’ll be able to walk off the plane in your vacation destination looking put together.
What to Wear for Fashionable Comfort on an Airplane
We’ll go over some tips for both women and men below to fly fashionably in comfort!
The Environment of an Airplane
If you’ve ever been on a plane before, then you are likely aware of how cold they are.
Airplane cabins are typically kept around 70ºF, but this number is deceptive when you consider how little you’ll move while in the air. As a result, you’ll inevitably get cold if you aren’t dressed properly.
This means having long sleeves and pants, which is a blessing because this makes it easier to dress smarter. Few things look better than a full suit, but it certainly won’t do you any favors towards feeling comfortable!
Tips for Women
Women have a lot of flexibility when it comes to dressing nicely on a plane. You have many options for both tops and bottoms.
Here are a few great ideas for women:
- Top – Pretty much anything that isn’t an old, oversized sweater. You can wear a crop top with a bomber jacket, a cozy cashmere sweater, or even a long peacoat.
- Bottom – The only thing you need to look out for is skinny jeans. You can wear leggings, drawstring bottoms, or even track pants if your top and shoes match.
- Shoes – The two biggest villains here are high-heels and flip-flops. Beyond those, you can wear boots, Birkenstocks, or sneakers if they’re chic.
Putting these ideas together makes for some excellent outfits.
You can wear a crop top with a bomber, track pants, and some cute sneakers for an athletic look.
Alternatively, a nice cashmere turtleneck sweater with drawstring bottoms and Birkenstocks will make you look fashionably cozy.
If you’re dedicated to dressing up, a long peacoat with leggings and boots will serve you well.
Advice for Men
Men have fewer choices when it comes to looking nice on a plane while staying comfortable. That said, you still have some excellent choices to make you look smart.
Here are some guaranteed winners for men:
- Top – T-shirts and tank tops are your biggest enemies here. Wear a polo shirt or even better, a button-up shirt to look good. Bring along a fleece if you’re worried about getting cold.
- Bottom – Ignore the shirts and sweatpants. Instead, opt for some cozy khakis for breathability or fitted denim jeans as long as they don’t have holes in them.
- Shoes – Ditch the basketball and running shoes. Opt for some nice boots to look good or loafers for maximum comfort.
With these suggestions in mind, you can put together two great outfits.
Pair a polo shirt with a fleece jacket, denim jeans, and boots if you care more about looking great.
Alternatively, wear a button-up shirt with khakis and loafers if you want to focus on feeling good.
Comfort Doesn’t Need to Sacrifice Fashionability
While it may seem counterintuitive, you don’t need to sacrifice comfort for fashionability.
The two don’t tend to go hand-in-hand, but all you need to do is think the outfit through beforehand to ensure it balances between them.
Avoid anything too fashionable, like a dress and heels for women or a full suit for men. At the same time, don’t think that wearing sweats, t-shirts, and flip-flops will cut it if you want to be cozy.
Don’t neglect accessories like hats or scarves. These are quite simple but can go a long way into making an outfit come together or elevating a plain look.
Riding on an airplane isn’t always enjoyable, but that doesn’t mean you have to give up looking good for feeling better.
Plane cabins tend to be quite cold, so you’ll want to wear long-sleeved tops and bottoms to stay warm.
Women have many options for tops, bottoms, and shoes, but you should make sure you pick clothes that work well together.
Men are a little less flexible, but that doesn’t mean you should ignore trying altogether. Just stay away from anything good for lounging or overly athletic and you should be good to go!
You can always look good while flying if you put some taste and planning into your airplane outfit. Strike a nice balance between fashion and comfort to feel just as excellent as you look!